You as a Systems and Network Engineer will provide technical leadership and expertise in the design and implementation of innovative solutions and support of the organisation’s information technology systems.
Whilst maintaining versatility and adapting to different operating platforms running on Red Hat Linux and public cloud offerings, the appointee will operate across: web application servers, DNS, LDAP, radius, SAML based single sign on, containerisation, virtual machines, deployment and configuration management tools.
- Lead and manage the design and implementation of a complex infrastructure solution(s) across the organisation’s professional, academic, research and commercial stakeholder groups. Provide high level advice and proactive solutions to Technology Services leaders and support and guidance to other team members. Interpret and translate theoretical designs and concepts into practical solutions and plans.
- Operational responsibility for the technical services, including advice about, and delivery of technical changes, problem and incident resolution, policy, procedures, system designs, plans and budgets to stakeholders and senior management.
- Safeguard the operational reliability and security of systems through application of service delivery practices, including configuration and change, problem, incident management processes and activities.
- Provide technical leadership in planning, building and running complex solutions for projects and problems. Ensure solution design and implementation accounts for and complies with change control processes, technical guidelines, standards, practices and procedures.
- Review and implement appropriate system cyber security controls in accordance with security policy, standards, procedures and industry best practices. Proactively monitor and escalate security incidents and risks. Develop and implement plans and update standard operating procedures and configurations to improve and enhance systems security and mitigate against future events and risks.
- Maintain knowledge of new and emerging technologies relevant to the role and share and transfer knowledge to continually improve and enhance the team and systems performance. Actively review and propose improvements to operational practices and or services to enhance the customer experience and reduce risk.
- Produce and maintain systems documentation such as standard operating procedures, as-built designs, recovery procedures and configurations and relevant training materials.
- Work effectively across multi-disciplinary teams and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop agile solutions in response to changes in environment or circumstance.
- At all times, demonstrate commitment to the organisation’s values.
- Other duties as required, commensurate with the level of appointment.
Ideally, the appointee should possess the following qualifications, skills, abilities and experience:
- A tertiary qualification plus at least four years’ relevant experience with Red Hat Linux, CentOS
- Experience providing maintenance and support for web application servers, DNS, LDAP, radius and identity systems in a virtualised environment.
- Experience performing daily duties of backups, maintenance on applications and OS, patching, tuning, automating tasks, and troubleshooting potential issues.
- Experience supporting containerisation and scripting/programming skills
- Experience with Deployment and Configuration Management tools and a willingness to learn and understand systems that may be unfamiliar.
- Proven high level analytical skills to analyse and document systems existing systems and process and a willingness to proposes system improvements and efficiencies.
- A proven track record in researching new technologies with resulting improvements in efficiency and effectiveness.
- Proven high level analytical skills to analyse, document systems/processes, and a willingness to propose system improvements and efficiencies. Skills in scripting and programming languages will be highly regarded.
- High level interpersonal and written communication skills including the proven ability to develop complex business/project documentation and manage strong stakeholder relationships internally, externally, and at all levels of an organisation.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity and a working knowledge of equity and WHS principles in the workplace.